Sunday, August 21, 2016

Fry's words vs. sight words


Ever since I started this blog, I've been talking about the ever important Fry's Words and how children need to know the first one hundred when they go into first grade. This reminded me of my sister and how hard she worked to help her kids in kindergarten.

She always called those words sight words. That is what I always heard them called too.

That is until I started working full time in the classroom.  The teachers I worked with talked about how important it was that the students should know the first one hundred Fry's words when coming into the first grade. I had no idea what they were talking about until they explained that these were sight words.

So now I've been calling sight words the Fry's words for so long I don't even think of them as sight words anymore!

When I talk about Fry's words, I am referring to the sight words your child needs to learn or is currently learning.

If you are familiar with sight words you know these words are difficult to sound out and need to be memorized because they don't follow the rules of most of the other words we learn to read. 

In first grade students are tested on the next hundred words and so on. However, I focus primarily on the first hundred words because these are the building blocks of successful reading.

In order to assist parents and guardians in their children's reading  success, the Fry's words used in "The Adventures of Bob the Dog" books are written on the last page. 


By the way, my sister has a blog of her own that is worth checking out!

Check her out HEREShe showcases the beautiful cards she makes. Stop by her blog and say hi, and when you do tell her Bob the dog sent you!




No comments:

Post a Comment